Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Hair Cutting-- A Childhood Memory

While commenting on another blog, I was reminded of an old memory.

Long ago, I had a younger sister. Still do. This sister had long, beautiful hair with pretty natural curls. Everyone said so. I, on the other hand, had thin, straight hair that was shorter than hers. Something had to be done. After all, I couldn't let her be prettier and more noticed than me. I was rather vain, you see. I'm over that now.

The story continues. We were at my grandparent's house for a visit. I found scissors. A plan was hatched in my young brain. I had noticed that the neighbor's grass was quite long. Long enough, say, to hide hair once it was cut from a little girl's head. Long enough so no one would find it. Long enough so that no one would notice a young child was missing her hair. And long enough that a slightly older child wouldn't get into trouble. Yes, it was the perfect length.

I would be the most beautiful girl with the most perfect hair.

I coaxed my little sister into the long grass for her make over. She was always so passive and obedient. I set about to cutting her long locks and hiding the evidence in the lawn. We chatted. I clipped. We laughed. I snipped. Until I felt satisfied with my work. After all, just because she wasn't going to be as pretty as me, didn't mean she had to be ugly.

I hid the scissors in the grass with the hair and we went inside. I remember Grandpa saying it looked good. I remember Mom giving him the look of death. And I vividly remember the march upstairs for a spanking. A spanking with a hanger. A hanger???? Really, Mom? By the way, hangers hurt the butt regardless of how weird a tool they are for spanking.

Mom later said that they just had to trim one spot by the ear and the haircut was perfect. I was that good. And I was only three or so. Just imagine how awesome I am now! And I'm not even vain anymore.

Anyway, I also got my hair cut. And it was shorter than my sister's hair.
 
 But probably not as nice, since someone else did it.


8 comments:

  1. Oh my, now the truth come out about my perfect(?) Innocent(?) Neice! Well, I think most kiddos do a haicut at some point in their young age. I think baby even trimmed her bangs? Cute story anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fun part is seeing the thought process of a young child. No one will know if I hide it good enough. :)

      Delete
  2. Cute story, did you ever retrieve the scissors from the grass? Hey, now I know who to come to, when my hair needs cut when we move to Iowa, I course I want to make the appointment the days you bake:) Thanks Langela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if I got the scissors. I imagine I was told to.

      Now I want fresh bread and a haircut. You made that sound so good on a cold, rainy day.

      Delete
  3. I fully remember sitting there quietly and patiently while you cut away, pulling up the long grass to hide the hair. I had thought it was a good plan too, nobody would know if we just hid the cut hair well enough. No worries any longer, you now have the nice long curly hair and me with the short straight hair. Funny how times will take care of all that for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this started my road to more thought-out, careful planning. I became quite thorough and good at it until I lost my mind a few years back. :)

      Delete
  4. Cute story! I think we've all been there and done that only you were more organized and planned it all out better than the rest of us. lol Glad you sister was a good sport, sorry you got a spanking with the hanger though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed the spanking as so many kids do today! It's a pretty effective way to teach.

      Delete