Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Baldies Out Front

Update: This post was written this past winter and then I forgot about it. I just wanted you to know that we do not have snow on the ground currently nor have we had any recently. Of course, this is Iowa and it could still happen!

We have had an increase in bald eagles around here lately. The other day as we were sitting in the living room, we saw a bald eagle swoop down to the road out front and attempt to pick up a dead rabbit. The rabbit was dropped and the eagle circled above. Then, another bald eagle started circling.


I wondered if it was a pair or two rival eagles. I had no idea if the female and male eagles looked the same so I did some research. It turns out that the males and females look the same except the females are usually larger. And the further north you go, the larger the birds get on average.



So, in the extensive research of the subject, I still have no idea if it was a pair of baldies out front or rivals. BUT, I know it could be either one.

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool Langela, I hope to see some when move there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be plenty up around your property area with all the water! You're getting closer, Gordon. Moving day will be here before you know it!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I have ever seen a bald eagle, enough to really know what it was. I had one pointed out ( by a ranger ) on a cliff 1/4 mile away that I might or might not have actually seen when we were out west somewhere. We have a red tail hawk that patrols our area. Found the remnants of a homing pigeon one time and had to notify the owner off the band...not sure if the hawk did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see them a lot but these were so close. We also have red tail hawks around here. One got one of our roosters once and just the other day one took down a bird in our driveway. I don't really care to have them (hawks) around with having chickens and all.

      Delete