Monday, April 22, 2013

Wisdom From My Dad And Sometimes My Mom

I thought I'd share some wise words I remember from my childhood. Some are from my dad and some from my mom.

"Eat your vegetables. It will grow hair on your chest." Not something girls need to aim for and not something future husbands hope for.

"Does your nose run? Do your feet smell? You must be made upside down." No comment.

One time, we were re-modeling a camper. My mom had painted some drawers and set them outside to dry. Our dog, Chuck, came along and peed on one of them. She caught him in the act and yelled, " Chuck! If you pee on those drawers again I'll cut your little wiener off!" We've never let her forget that.

"Pretty is as pretty does." This was in response to us girls talking about how cute a boy was.

We got this one every time we went somewhere. "Do what you know is right." How many times had I wished they would forget to say that so I could be naughty. Not really. Sort of.

"We all have an infinite ability for self-justification." Let that sink in.

"Just because someone else does it, doesn't make it right." Yes, but it still might be fun.

"This is no place for fun!" The funny thing about that phrase was that it was said by my mother, in a serious voice, while we were on vacation. She didn't see the irony until we burst out laughing and pointed it out to her. My poor mother. Most of us inherited my dad's sense of twisted, sarcastic humor. My mother was born without it. Unfortunately for her, sometimes it was too much for us to ignore.

"You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose." It's no wonder I'm brilliant with wisdom like that!

That's all I can think of right now. Did you grow up with any imparted wisdom from your parents? Or did you pass some on to your kids?




4 comments:

  1. The only thing that comes to mind is "If you don't shut up, I'm going to smack you one". I think I said that a lot. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're off like a herd of turtles. Who do you think you are...The Queen of Sheba?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard the "herd of turtles" one before. I may have to use it.

      Delete