Friday, October 26, 2012

Black-eyed Susans

I wrote about my big baking week and mentioned making black-eyed susans. This cookie was found by Sissy in one of her children's cookbooks. We made some for the garage sale and the girls wanted to make some more. Here is how it's done.

First, you make a sugar cookie dough. Or cheat like I did and buy a packet, add butter and water, and make it much more quickly.

Next, add food coloring to your dough. We used yellow, but any color will do.
Then, you roll the dough into balls, about walnut sized, and refrigerate them for two hours.

Next, remove them from the fridge and make some snips about halfway into the ball. I make about 4 or 5 snips and then carefully spread apart a little. As this part bakes it spreads open to make the flower petals.


Then bake them at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and quickly add your chocolate stars or kisses to the centers of each flower.


There you have it. Pretty, black-eyed susan cookies.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hah! They were actually quite good. Or so I'm told because I never eat sweets. Never. Ever. Not me. You can't prove a thing.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. And glad to have you stop by. I am currently going through your blog and enjoying it very much.

      Delete
  3. Very nice Langela, a very creative idea. So much nicer looking then just being round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies are just darling! It looks like I can learn a lot from your blog. I will have to take time to read some of your previous posts! Thank you for the info you gave me! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Your welcome for the info. ;O)

      Delete