Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Bigger In Iowa

I planted a few new varieties of vegetables this year. And I am very pleased, to say the least. 

First up is a new radish. I bought it in bulk and can't remember the name, sorry. Because of the wet start to the season, I asked if the greenhouse would recommend anything so late. They said this one would be good for warmer weather and said no matter how big it got it would not turn" woody or hot." I have to agree. Below is one of the average radishes we pulled. It tasted sweet and delicious.





Next are the cucumbers. I asked the greenhouse what they recommended for cucumbers for pickling. They were almost afraid to mention the one they used as it was "rather expensive". It came in a packet of very few seeds and was priced at about a buck and a half (hardly expensive in my opinion). I believe the variety was "Green Ice". The lady said that they would have few seeds, not turn sour regardless of their size, and were good for pickling. I agree on all three accounts. They are averaging between 16 and 18+ inches long and quite thick, but less seed than you'd think. They remain sweet at this size. Sliced up, they are a nice size for pickling. And they are very prolific! This picture is just one picking!






They were even bigger than the zucchini (in the next photo and darker green than the cukes) I picked! This photo, plus another nine large zucchini, lots of sweet, delicious cherry tomatoes, and another meal's-worth of green beans are this week's pickings. The tomato plants are huge and full of green fruit. I'll try to remember to do another post on them. 




6 comments:

  1. Looking good Langela, its been a good year for our garden too. We have not had to water once and have been getting good rains every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gordon. Our beans are finally drying out and starting to produce. That's the only thing not doing well this year. Glad your garden is doing well.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous looking cucumbers! Did you get a lot of pickles made? I've only done bread and butter so far. My zucchini is not doing much of anything. We're getting some but not at rate as in past years.
    Haven't had enough to give away yet. Our radishes are done. I'd love to know what kind yours was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done some and more to be done today, but I need to get more pickling packets before I can finish what I have. I also pickle the zucchini as they are much better (IMHO) and crisper than the cukes.

      I really should write down what varieties I plant so I'd know from year to year!

      Delete
  3. Katie asked if you would send some our way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come up for Thanksgiving (or sooner) and you can have some. :)

      Delete