Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Cobras In Iowa

The day was busy, but like any other day around the farm. I was preparing supper, Sissy was still doing schoolwork, and the younger two kids were outside riding their four wheelers.

There was quite a commotion as Baby ran into the house, in tears, screaming, "Mom! There is a really dangerous snake by the pond. It has a red head and it's flattened out like a cobra."

Knowing we don't have cobras in Iowa, I tossed back," We don't have cobras in Iowa, Baby. Don't worry about it. It's probably not even still there."

"Well, The Boy and I are going to go out and shoot it."

"Ok, just be careful." They both took a shotgun and headed back outside. Just seeing if you were paying attention. They each took their BB guns outside. What kind of mother do you think I am? They  use the shotguns for 'coons and such. Duh! I do know some things!

Anyhow, back to the story. I continued with my business as the two of them ran out the door. A little bit later I heard Sissy laughing and calling to me, "Mom, you have to come see this." I was a bit afraid as I really hate snakes and was sure they had at least part of one to show me. Ewww!

I went to the front window and saw Baby there, smiling and holding a cobra, without its head. Yes, I said a cobra. In Iowa. I know!


Someone, at some time, put a rigid plastic cobra out by our pond. In the yard. I'm really glad I didn't happen upon it!

The kids came in and told me after they each shot it 18 times (lol) they saw it wasn't moving so The Boy ran over it with his four wheeler. That's how they discovered it was fake.

The fun never ends out here on the farm!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear there are no real cobras in Iowa, I might have to rethink moving there if there was :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. One of the biggest reasons we live in Iowa is the lack of venomous snakes. I think there are timber rattlers but we don't live near any timber, so we're good. At least, that's what I tell myself. :)

      Delete