Wednesday, July 11, 2012

And More!

In today's post I forgot that I also picked my tomato garden.


Picked varieties are Mr. Stripey and Early Goliath and maybe Brandywine equaling 2.49 pounds.

These next two photos are of Mr. Stripey. They are neat looking, I think.
 


Also picked were the two cherry varieties. Can you believe over a pound and a half?!
Yes, I tared the scale first with the bowl on it. It's all tomato.
 

Next up are photos of my two day picking of the Oxhearts. The weight total for the Oxheart is 14.85 pounds. And the total for all varieties of both days is 18.92 pounds!


The largest of the Oxhearts from Monday weighed in right at one pound!
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Well, now you're just rubbing it in, lol! Seriously, that is one terrific tomato harvest this early in the summer. You have the magic soil/touch/weather!! Do you can tons of sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Nutmeg, I've just begun. I usually peel and quarter, then freeze the tomatoes until I make my spaghetti sauce to can. So, yes I can them, but as spaghetti sauce.

      I don't mean to rub it in. I am really excited about this year's harvest.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I hope you know I was just teasing! You should be excited about what you grow!

      Delete
  2. Great looking tomatoes. What is your secrete? Do you have a green house or hoop house? Did you start yours from seed or is it that great Iowa soil? Do you amend your soil with cow manure or use Miricle grow fertilizer? My tomatoes look piddly compared to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gordon. I have no secret. It's a freak year, although I usually have nice tomatoes. This year there are so many of them. No green or hoop house. There is a Menonite greenhouse over in Leon, IA. I get my heirlooms from her as seedlings. I do have a volunteer cherry from last year and some I started from seed right in the ground this spring that have started to set little tomatoes. Our soil is pure compost. In fact, two of the gardens have stuff that wasn't even completely composted. We have a big pile that we throw all our grass clippings, table scraps, and stuff from the chicken coops into. Once or twice a year Mr. Farmer turns it with the tractor. This is the first year for the Oxheart, but I will definitely plant them again. They are a favorite.

      Delete