Friday, July 6, 2012

Dirty Laundry

A few years ago, I found out I had a fungal infection in my sinuses. This caused me to get migraines when around scents such as perfume, air fresheners, scented candles, lotions, fabric softeners, etc, etc.

This led to making my own laundry soap. I use the powdered recipe as the kids do most of the laundry and make a big enough mess without measuring out goopy liquid globs. The powder costs more than making the liquid, but is still way cheaper than anything bought in the store.

Here is my simple recipe and instructions.

Get out the Bosch, the slicer attachment with the grater blade...


 Borax, washing soda, oxi clean, and Fels Naptha soap.


Grate the soap.
 

Get out the Bosch blender. Add in the ingredients. Blend until powdered.
 
   
Place in sophisticated, classy container.

Here is the recipe I use.

1c of grated soap
1/4c to 1/3c  each of washing soda, oxi clean, and borax .
Blend together in blender.
That's it.

In under five minutes, I have a container of powdered soap. The next batch I make, I will be using homemade bar soap in place of the Fels Naptha.

In the laundry, I use 2T of the powdered mixture per load in our HE (high efficiency) washer. I also use white vinegar as our fabric softener. The clothes come out smelling fresh and clean with no perfumey smells.

The bar of Fels Naptha soap can be used as a stain stick, too. But a word of caution: use it just before adding it to the washer. I made the mistake of trying to be ahead of the game once. I used the Fels on all my husband's work shirt collars as I was sorting them. Then I left them sit until the load was put in the next day. They came out with little holes in the collars. The soap had eaten through the fabric because I had left it sit on there overnight. On the plus side, the stains were gone!

4 comments:

  1. I have been making my own detergent for awhile now. The recipe I used doesn't have the oxi clean in it and you add water to make a somewhat liquid detergent. I think next time I am going to make it without water.

    I think we've saved a million dollars on detergent! It's so so inexpensive compared to store bought and I don't have to worry about getting an allergic reaction from it! Do you have a recipe for fabric softner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original recipe didn't have oxi clean in it either. I just add it. Like I said, the liquid is cheaper but messier and more time- consuming than the powder.

      I just use white distilled vinegar for fabric softener. I use it in amounts equal to what store-bought softener calls for. At one point I even used it in the "Downy Ball". There is no vinegar smell to the dried laundry. I actually use vinegar as hair conditioner, too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. I have been thinking about trying to make my own for a long time but I just haven't been brave enough. I think I am going to try this this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. It's so easy and really inexpensive. The supplies seem to last for quite a while, depending on how much laundry you do. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

      Delete