Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Stromboli

Sometimes when I make my batch of bread, I will take out one of the balls of dough and use it to make stromboli for supper. I got the recipe from a friend a few years back, but change it according to ingredients on hand or taste. The original recipe called for using frozen dough balls like you buy at the store. Any dough recipe would work as long as it is about a pound of dough.

First, roll out the dough to a large rectangle. Be careful not to roll it too thin. It needs the thickness to hold all the ingredients inside when you roll it up.
 

Next, I add the sauce. I use my homemade spaghetti sauce with meat in it.


I show you this next step not to intimidate you, but to encourage you to the level of perfection I have attained. I have laid the salami and pepperoni slices precisely and beautifully, covering the dough. This precision allows for meat in every bite. One must take this into consideration. The last thing you want after slaving over supper is to have someone complain that they got a bite of dough and no meat. The drama!


Now, add your cheese and roll up tightly. This is where the thickness of the dough will come into play. If it's too thin, it may break or stretch apart. If this happens, just pinch it back together. Once you have it all rolled up, pinch the edge closed.


 With the edge pinched closed, place your roll onto a cookie sheet, seam-side-down.


And bake at 375 for approximately 35 minutes.


On this one, I sprinkled the top with italian seasonings. Heavenly!

Stromboli is good fresh from the oven and also really good cold from the fridge the next day. Once cold, it can be picked up and eaten like a sandwich.

2 comments: