Friday, February 1, 2013

Alien Landscape Or Refrigerator Find?

A note of caution here. Your children may be traumatized by this post. Keep their eyes shielded. I made the mistake and let my kids see this and they were up all night with nightmares. They can't even go in the kitchen without melting to the floor in fits of terrified sobbing.

You've been warned.

Proceed with extreme caution.

I cleaned out the refrigerator yesterday. It has only been about 5 months since I did it last. As happens in many homes, I'm hoping, things get shoved aside and pushed to the back and forgotten. They are only brought to light when the fridge gets emptied, scrubbed, and organized.

I emptied the shelves. I scrubbed the shelves, sides, drawers, and back of the fridge. Then, I set to work on the sorting and organizing. This means I have to open lids, sniff things, clean the outside of jars, and discard any unwanted items.

Here are a few of the wonderfully fantastic things I found.





I told you it was scary! I have never seen mold in those shapes before.

Now, being the perfect mother I am, I had my kids smell the blackened cottage cheese. They needed to smell what soured dairy smells like or else they may think the blackened cottage cheese was a cajun delicacy.






We have a rule in our house that a jar of jelly needs to be finished before another one can be opened. I have my doubts whether this rule has been followed lately as I came across four open jars. Four! You don't even want to know how many open jars of  pickles I found.

How often do you clean out your fridge? Am I alone in only doing it several times a year? For those of you who have never found such things in your refrigerator clean-outs, you're welcome for the lesson. I have just reaffirmed in your minds why you do it more often.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! That cottage cheese would give me nightmares, too! I don't think I've had anything quite that bad, but I've definitely had my share of liquid lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've never see anything like it, either. That's why I had to take a picture of it. Aaahh, yes, liquid lettuce. I'm quite familiar with it.

      Delete