Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Enough To Make A Grown Man Cry

No, Mr Farmer didn't stay at home with the kids all day by himself. He refused since we recently ran out of duct tape. He has to have duct tape in order to stay alone with the kids. Which is a hassle for me, since I have to get all the tape residue off their mouths!

Anyway, on to the reason for the tears. Onions. And lots of them! I put up two boxes of onions from the gardens.

First, I took all the dried tops and outer papers off of them.


Then, I cut the ends off and peeled the outer layer off. This process took me most of the day. I had to rest a few times to give my arthritic hands a break.

This is what I ended up with.


Next, I put the onions through the Bosch grater. It made quick work of them and saved my poor eyes. The gasses were so strong that they burnt my nose! The gasses released mix with the water in your eyes and turn to sulfuric acid. That is why it burns your eyes. Science lesson over.

I came up with four gallons of chopped onions.




Sissy helped me bag them and suffered the consequences.



Also, today I made some pizza sauce.



 Pizza dough.





I also pulverized my stash of egg shells. I learned this from Granny. I wash out the egg shells and keep them until I have a good number of them. Then I crush them by hand and put them into a baby food mill to turn them to powder. I use this powder to add around my tomato plants when they get blossom end rot. A lack of calcium is what causes it and egg shells have calcium.


Here is a parting shot of Baby as she was trying to show how her eyes were watering, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment